UFC returns for another pay-per-view event in July, as tonight with UFC 291 at the Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah. In the main event, lightweights Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje will compete in a rematch, with the vacant BMF Championship up for grabs.
After eight months of inactivity, Poirier returns to UFC tonight, hoping to become a BMF Champion. His last fight was a win against Michael Chandler by submission at UFC 281 on Nov. 12, 2022. “The Diamond” also comes into his fight tonight with confidence as he beat Gaethje in their first fight by TKO in 2018. However, his opponent has changed his style since their first encounter and gained more UFC experience. Regardless, Poirier believes he is the better fighter and will again defeat Gaethje in the main event.
DraftKings have shared that the betting odds have leaned toward Poirier being victorious again in the rematch. While “The Diamond” is a -145 favorite, Gaethje can present a formidable challenge tonight. “The Highlight” has been more active as he fought Rafael Fiziev to a majority decision win at UFC 286 on March 18. Fans may not have Gaethje winning tonight, but he has the punching power, the durability, and the cardio to avenge his loss against Poirier.
UFC 291: Poirier vs. Gaethje 2 Full Fight Card
(Card and bout order is subject to change)
- Lightweight BMF Championship Main Event: #2 Dustin Poirier (29-7) vs. #3 Justin Gaethje (24-4)
- Light Heavyweight Co-Main Event: #3 Jan Błachowicz(29-9-1) vs. (MW) #2 Alex Pereira (7-2)
- Welterweight: #7 Stephen Thompson (17-6-1) vs. #15 Michel Pereira (28-11)
- Lightweight: Tony Ferguson (25-8) vs. Bobby Green (29-14-1)
- Welterweight: #12 Michael Chiesa (16-6) vs. Kevin Holland (24-9)
- Welterweight: Gabriel Bonfim (14-0) vs. Trevin Giles (16-4)
- Heavyweight: #11 Derrick Lewis (26-11) vs. Marcos Rogério de Lima (21-8-1)
- Middleweight: Roman Kopylov (10-2) vs. Claudio Ribeiro (11-3)
- Welterweight: Jake Mathews (18-6) vs. Darrius Flowers (12-5-1)
Early Preliminary Card
- Flyweight: CJ Vergara (11-4-1) vs. Vinicius Salvador (14-5)
- Welterweight: Matthew Semelsberger (11-5) vs. Uroš Medić (8-1)
- Women’s Flyweight: Miranda Maverick (11-5) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (12-4)
What Time Is The Main Event & What Channel Does It Telecast On?
The main card will take place at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT on ESPN+ exclusively in the United States for $79.99. However, fans must also have an ESPN+ subscription to watch to pay for the PPV, which costs $9.99 to join.
On the main card, four fights will be set for three five-minute rounds before the main event. If all four fights go the distance, then it’s possible the main event will start around midnight ET/9 PM PT. However, it’s uncertain what the results will be, as a knockout or submission win is possible for the bouts before the BMF title fight.