MMA News has you covered with this week’s UFC matchmaking bulletin, featuring fights for “Georgian Viking” Guram Kutateladze, former heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski, and lightweight prospect Joel Álvarez.
With UFC cards being held most weekends, Mick Maynard and Sean Shelby have their matchmaking work cut out if they’re to fill them, meaning new bouts are confirmed each and every week.
In recent days, multiple big-name fights were reported, confirmed, or made official by the UFC and reputable sources. For more information on those matchups, check out the links below:
- Amanda Nunes vs. Irene Aldana – UFC 289 (June 10)
- Neil Magny vs. Phil Rowe – UFC Jacksonville (June 24)
- Brendan Allen vs. Bruno Silva – UFC Jacksonville (June 24)
- Christian Rodriguez vs. Cameron Saaiman – UFC 290 (July 8)
It was a busy week overall for fight announcements, with a number of lower-profile matchups coming together. For some of those, check out this week’s quick hits:
- Karine Silva vs. Ketlen Souza – UFC Vegas 74 (June 3)
- Ronnie Lawrence vs. Dan Argueta – UFC Vegas 75 (June 17)
- Randy Brown vs. Wellington Turman – UFC Jacksonville (June 24)
- Justin Tafa vs. Austen Lane – UFC Jacksonville (June 24)
- Gregory Rodrigues vs. Denis Tiuliulin – UFC Jacksonville (June 24)
- David Onama vs. Gabriel Santos – UFC Jacksonville (June 24)
- Trevor Peek vs. Victor Martinez – UFC Jacksonville (June 24)
- Jordan Leavitt vs. Elves Brener – UFC Vegas 76 (July 1)
- Ivana Petrović vs. Luana Carolina – UFC Vegas 76 (July 1)
- Carl Deaton III vs. Alexander Munoz – UFC Event TBA (July 15)
- Danny Roberts vs. Jonny Parsons – UFC London (July 22)
- Chris Duncan vs. Yanal Ashmouz – UFC London (July 22)
But it wasn’t all positive, with some fights falling through or being adjusted in recent days. For those failed pairings and any confirmed replacements, see the list below:
- Polyana Viana (OUT, Loopy Godinez IN) vs. Emily Ducote – UFC Vegas 73 (May 20)
- Julianna Peña (OUT, Irene Aldana IN) vs. Amanda Nunes – UFC 289 (June 10)
- Stephen Thompson vs. Michel Pereira – UFC 289 (June 10)
And for more detailed information on some notable fights that may have flown under your radar between May 1 and May 6, scroll down and check out this week’s UFC matchmaking bulletin.
Jamie Mullarkey vs. Guram Kutateladze – UFC Vegas 74 (June 3)
The June 3 UFC Fight Night card has grown in strength with the addition of lightweights Jamie Mullarkey and Guram Kutateladze.
Mullarkey (16-5) has won two straight since a knockout loss to #10-ranked contender Jalin Turner at UFC 272 last March. After rebounding with a narrow split decision win over Michael Johnson in their Fight of the Night contest four months later, the 28-year-old Australian emerged victorious over Francisco Prado on the scorecards in front of his home fans at UFC 284 this past February.
He’ll now look for his first three-fight winning streak in the UFC at the expense of Kutateladze (12-3). The highly touted Georgian has competed just twice since signing for the MMA leader in 2020, with both outings coming against elite-level opposition. After narrowly and controversially outpointing Mateusz Gamrot on debut, “Georgian Viking” made an unsuccessful return after nearly two years away last June at UFC Austin, falling to Damir Ismagulov via split decision.
This lightweight fight was announced by the promotion.
— Marcel Dorff 🇳🇱🇮🇩 (@BigMarcel24) May 4, 2023
Andrei Arlovski vs. Don’Tale Mayes – UFC Vegas 74 (June 3)
Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski will return to the Octagon for his 40th outing at UFC Vegas 74 on June 3.
Arlovski (34-21, 2 NC) boasts the second most UFC fights in promotional history. Despite his long tenure and veteran status, he hasn’t struggled for form in recent times, winning four of his last five. In his most recent fight last October at UFC Vegas 63, “The Pitbull” had his winning run halted via submission against Marcos Rogério de Lima.
Competing for the first time in 2023, Arlovski will pull one back on Jim Miller’s record-holding appearance count by sharing the cage with Don’Tale Mayes (9-5, 1 NC). “Kong” has gone winless through his last two contests, first suffering a split decision loss to Hamdy Abdelwahab, which was later overturned to a no contest, before being outpointed by Augusto Sakai this past February at UFC Vegas 70.
This heavyweight bout was announced by the promotion.
— Marcel Dorff 🇳🇱🇮🇩 (@BigMarcel24) May 4, 2023
Marc Diakiese vs. Joel Álvarez – UFC London (July 22)
The UFC’s summer return to England’s capital is beginning to fill out, with the latest addition coming in the lightweight division.
Marc Diakiese (16-6) found form in the first half of 2022, showing his grappling credentials during decision victories over Viacheslav Borschev and Damir Hadžović. But he was unable to make it three on the bounce when he shared the Octagon with Michael Johnson at UFC Orlando last December.
Now, “Bonecrusher” will look to rebound in front of his home fans at the expense of Joel Álvarez (19-3). While the Spaniard had established himself as one of the top prospects at 155 pounds with wins over Joe Duffy, Alexander Yakovlev, and Thiago Moisés, his rise was stalled in brutal fashion by Arman Tsarukyan last February at UFC Vegas 49.
This lightweight contest was first reported by KOImenero.
Breaking: Per sources, Joel Álvarez 🇪🇸 will fight Marc Diakiese 🇬🇧 at UFC London, lightweight bout on july 22nd.
— KOlmenero (@KOlmeneroMMA) April 30, 2023